Complementary health consultations
Specialist expertise in complementary and alternative health care is available at Hammick House if you would like the opportunity to discuss which therapies would be most appropriate and safe for you, using best available evidence.
Selecting a complementary health practitioner
- Consider discussing your preferences with your doctor/healthcare practitioner.
- Word of mouth recommendation from friends/family about a practitioner with a good reputation can also be very helpful.
- Contact the professional organisation for the complementary/alternative approach that you have chosen to use.
Questions to ask before having treatment
- What are their qualifications and how long was their training?
- What professional organisation do they belong to - is it a recognised organisation with codes of practice?
- What is their experience?
- Is their type of approach the most appropriate for you?
- Do they have professional indemnity insurance?
- Are records confidential?
- What is the cost of the treatment and are there any extras - for example, cost of herbs?
- How many treatments will be required?
- What potential side-effects or risks are associated with the therapy?
- Are there any precautions you have to take before and after a treatment?
- Will the therapy interfere with conventional treatment?
- Can your GP refer to the practitioner?
- If using a private health insurance scheme, will it cover complementary therapies?
Once you have contacted a practitioner ask yourself the following questions:
- Did the practitioner answer your questions clearly and to your satisfaction?
- Did the practitioner conduct themselves in a professional manner?
- Did they provide you with information to look through at your leisure?
- Are they making excessive claims about their treatment?
A good practitioner will always answer your questions fully, giving information and allowing you time to consider. A good practitioner will never guarantee a cure or complete recovery and they will tell you if they cannot help.