Weldmar’s Sahara Trek 2023
Ready for the challenge of a lifetime? Sign up for our Sahara Desert trek in 2023.
Take part in a challenge of a lifetime, exploring one of the most picturesque, and remote locations in the world, in our Overseas Challenge for 2023!
16th – 21st March 2023
The Sahara Desert was the first overseas challenge we took on – and it was a fantastic one. We announced last summer that we were returning to the Sahara Desert for our challenge in 2022, and now, due to unprecedented demand, we’re giving more people the chance to take part in March 2023. It’s your last chance to experience a trek like no other, on the African continent, across the largest hot desert in the world.
Your adventure begins in Marrakech, but there isn’t time for exploring just yet.
Instead, you will begin your journey into the Sahara Desert, driving over the High Atlas Mountain Range to an overnight stop in Ouarzazate. The next day starts early in the morning as you follow ancient caravan routes into the arid scenery of the Sahara Desert. There, you will meet your local Berbers to begin two days out trekking in the Desert, walking miles in the hot sun at the pace of the camels, setting up camp, and sleeping underneath the stars at the end of each day. Arriving back in the village of Oulaid Driss, your challenge is complete.
From there, you will head to Marrakech, where you’ll have time to reflect with your fellow trekkers, relive your achievements, and enjoy some free time to explore the exotic city before flying home.
Alaine Harman, from Weldmar’s fundraising team, says ‘The Sahara trek going to be an incredible experience for anyone taking part. We’ll be trekking through beautiful scenery by day and sleeping under the stars at night. We’ll even be baking bread in the hot sand, and immersing ourselves in the local culture.”
You should sign up for this trek if;
- You like to challenge yourself.
- You’ll be able to reach a good level of fitness at the time of the trek.
- You love travelling, immersing in different cultures, and exploring remote parts of the world.
- You like to meet new people, and work as part of a team.
- You have a connection to Weldmar Hospicecare, or you’d like to support us to be able to continue to provide end of life care in Dorset.
Price: £340 registration fee plus a minimum fundraising target of £1,500 for Weldmar Hospicecare.
Our very first Overseas Trek in 2013 in the Saraha Desert
Sahara Desert Trek 2023 – At a glance
- Flights from the UK (including taxes)
- All transfers & transport in Morocco
- Accommodation in hotels (2 nights), tents on trek (3 nights)
- All meals throughout
- Local trek guides, camels for porters, and full support crew on trek
- 35 degrees C high, 0 degrees C low
- 24-hour emergency support in Morocco and the UK
- Full admin and pre-departure support
- Training walks and fundraising support in the UK
- Weldmar tour manager joining you on the trip
Does not include:
- Personal expenses (such as drinks, laundry etc)
- Transfer to the airport in the UK
- Any visas or vaccinations required
- Optional tips – Personal travel insurance