We need Companion Volunteers across Dorset, to support our patients and their carers
The role will enhance the work of our Weldmar Hospicecare professionals by supporting patients and carers in their own homes, helping them to cope more effectively and with more confidence.
You will not be asked to undertake any medical care, administer drugs, change dressings, carry out personal hygiene requirements, or do domestic chores.
Your work will be allocated, where possible, according to the location and interests of the patient/carer.
- One day training course
- Followed by five shadow sessions of community nurse
- Thereafter a maximum of three hours a week
You could be asked to do, or help with any of the following:
- Home visits
- Telephone contact
- Support patients who may be nervous of taking the first steps to attend local activities or groups
- Accompany patients to planned appointments or local visits
- Provide companionship and a listening ear
- Keep written records of home visits and activities attended
- Maintain confidentiality in all written and verbal communication
- Adhere to good practice regarding boundaries, lone working, and out-of-hours procedures
- Regular post-visit debriefs with clinical team member
- Attend supervision meetings
- Keep a record of any authorised expenses accrued
If you are interested please contact Jane Johnson on 01305 215311 or use our online contact form.
For an application form please contact Caroline Munslow on 01305 756930 or download, complete and post back the forms to apply to be a volunteer: